more messages (2) FROM CHINOOK-L

coyotez coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat May 10 18:40:09 UTC 2003

Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:16:57 +0900
Sender:       The Chinook Studies List <CHINOOK at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU>
From:         Mike Cleven <ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Chinook browser development (was  Fwd: Hawaiian language web
              browser released (fwd)

Now that Netscape source code is "open", anyone can develop add-ons to it,
including other language versions.  To get this done, it would have to mean
that one of us is familiar with writing code - or we can convince someone to
develop it for us.  Any takers?

I kept notes on this once upon a time - y'know......File-Print,
Edit-Preferences, etc.

First suggestions "File" = "Ikta", "Edit" = "Mamook", "Save" - "Iskum",
"Undo" - "Kilapi", etc.  Some of the compounds needed are going to be
interesting.

Just for fun we could all develop this as a communal whiteboard page;
arguing out the possible terms.......

Also, there's Opera (www.operabrowser.com I think - maybe
www.operasoftware.com).

And as a "by the way", I noticed www.slanguage.com listed somewhere - maybe
the Herald Tribune.  Maybe Jeff's page is already listed there.....

Mike Cleven (hiyu siah kopa huloima illahee)

Netscape's Universal Localization Program: Netscape ULP homepage:
<http://www.mozilla.org/docs/l10n>

Just thought I'd let y'all know I've been having a look at the Netscape ULP
- purdy interestin', if I do say so myself.  I'm willing to slog through
the "how to" of the damn thing if the rest of you can help me find suitable
translations/renderings of the drawbar commands and other interfaces.  Not
that a Jargon browser is going to have broad appeal; it'll just be "cool" -
apparently we also can't call it Netscape, according to the rules of the
project, so we also need a suggestion for a name.  "Wawabox" or "Wawahouse"
occurred to me (as replacements for "Communicator").

But as I was reading, it occurred to me that the Netscape ULP could have
profound use within the First Nations/Native American linguistic
communities.  I don't know if anyone out there is working on this for
Cherokee or Navajo or any other major American native language, but I
suspect someone is already working on Inuktitut/Inuvaluit and Cree
variations on the theme.

So it's occurred to me to suggest it to you Salishan list people to try and
evolve a "standard" Salishan vocabulary for browser use; I know that there
are wide disparities in languages within the language family, but maybe
this is an opportunity to derive "New Salish" technological terms and
ideoms......cooperation between linguists and actual tribal community
members would seem to be a must.  The alternative would be to develop
separate Secwepemc, Nlaka'pamux, Lushootseed, etc. versions.....

I'm going to turn a couple of Kwakwala and Tsimshian people I know on to
the idea; at least in their cases it's a little more straightforward.......

David Lewis
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde
Department Of Anthropology
University of Oregon