Where do Native Languages Fit In?

Mary Linn mslinn at OU.EDU
Mon May 12 15:56:18 UTC 2003

In Oklahoma public schools, Native languages DO qualify as foreign
language credit; the BOE has even changed the name of the requirement
to "World" languages in order to better reflect their inclusion. So
why this exclusion of Native/Hawai'ian/Pacific? Can't this be fought?

At 3:05 PM -0700 5/9/03, Andre Cramblit wrote:
>That was my point, in most schools Native Language classes cannot be
>substituted for "foreign" language college entrance requirements nor
>is funding available to offer Native language classes as a separate
>elective course.  A catch 22 that doesn't bode well for having our
>students learn their language in school hence the need to pass SB 575
>

>Diana Archangeli wrote:
>
>>To make the Subject header question clear, note that this call states:
>>
>>"The Secretary does not fund projects that propose Native American
>>languages, Native Hawaiian, other Pacific Island languages or Native
>>Alaskan languages. In addition, the program is not intended to support
>>the teaching of English."
>>
>>best,
>>
>>Diana
>>

>--
>
>André Cramblit: andre.p.cramblit.86 at alum.dartmouth.org Operations
>Director Northern California Indian Development Council NCIDC
>(<http://www.ncidc.org>http://www.ncidc.org) is a non-profit that
>meets the development needs of American Indians and operates an art
>gallery featuring the art of California tribes
>(<http://www.americanindianonline.com>http://www.americanindianonline.com)
>
>COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY TO THE FUTURE OF AMERICAN INDIANS/NATIVE
>AMERICANS/ALASKAN NATIVES & HAWAIIAN ISLANDERS. For news of interest
>to Natives subscribe send an email to:
>IndigenousNewsNetwork-subscribe at topica.com or go to:

Mary S. Linn
Assistant Curator of Native American Languages
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
University of Oklahoma

Native American Languages, 250G
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, Oklahoma 73072-7029
(405) 325-7588 office
(405) 325-7699 fax