Island Speak (language)

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Nov 11 06:53:06 UTC 2003

I can't point you to any specific documents at this time, but as the
parent of an immersion child, with whom I have only spoken Hawaiian since
she was an infant (she's now 12), and being very active in the programs
from the support side, I can tell you that yes, many of the children do
use the language out of the school, and beyond graduation. The oldest
Hawaiian immersion graduates are only around 23 right now, and they are
not numerous at this point, but a few do have children, and the ones I
know that do are using the language with their children. It's their choice
whether or not to pass it on, and hopeful as the number of graduates
reaching adulthood and starting their own families increases, this will be
the rule and not the exception.

It will probably be a few years before their children will start showing
up in our immersion preschools in sufficient numbers to tell for sure. I
can tell you this as well - a number of our immersion graduates are back
in the schools teaching the next generation and working in the offices
that develop curriculum and provide other support services to the schools.
If that isn't an indication of how they feel about the perpetuation of the
language I don't know what is.

Aloha,

Keola

andrekar at ncidc.org writes:
>I did not say that the article I forwarded did, but My understanding is
>yes it
>is happening but you might check with the people themselves:
>
>http://www.k12.hi.us/~waianaeh/waianhi/hawaiian.html
>http://www.punahou.edu/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&PageID=506
>http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/o-linkpage.html
>http://www.hawaiischoolreports.com/language/olelo.htm
>http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/miscpubs/stabilize/additional/hawaiian.htm
>

>Julia Sallabank wrote:
>
>> Dear Andre
>>
>> I am interested in the development of language revitalisation
>movements. You
>> say that 'Hawai'ian immersion saved the language', and what has bee
>achieved
>> is certainly impressive, but do the children who have been taught
>Hawai'ian
>> speak the language out of school, and will they raise children speaking
>it?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Julia

Keola Donaghy
Hawaiian Language Curriculum and Technology Coordinator
Native Hawaiian Serving Institution Program
University of Hawai'i at Hilo

keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu        http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~nhsi
Kualono                           http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/