Indigenous language book to keep culture alive (fwd)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Tue Nov 25 18:04:08 UTC 2003

[This is the print version of story
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s996391.htm]

Last Update: Tuesday, November 25, 2003. 10:00am (AEDT)

Indigenous language book to keep culture alive

A new book is helping young Indigenous children learn some of the
languages that will help maintain ties with their culture into
adulthood.

Indigenous Children's Services Unit project development officer, Andrew
Burns, says the book, Language - Our Right, Our Identity, is being used
in more than 120 Indigenous child care services in Queensland.

Mr Burns says the approach helps young Indigenous children become truly
bi-lingual and move easily between their traditional language and
English.

"What we're actually looking at is trying to implement Indigenous
languages into the early childcare curriculum, the reason being it's a
lot easier for a child to learn certain concepts within their home or
native language than it is to learn English, because it is a well-known
and proven fact that English, within itself, is one of the hardest
languages in the world to learn."

© 2003 Australian Broadcasting Corporation