Major Enhancements to the Unicode Standard (link)

Sean M. Burke sburke at CPAN.ORG
Mon Sep 1 23:39:41 UTC 2003

At 07:06 AM 2003-09-01 -0600, MiaKalish at RedPony yowled:
>I do truly hate to be a cynic, especially so early in the morning of a day
>of changing seasons, and a holiday, but I went to this link, checked it
>out. . . found the following. . .
[
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK3.story&STORY=/www
/story/08-27-2003/0002007261&EDATE=WED+Aug+27+2003,+09:03+AM
]
>I will grant that the number of encoded characters is probably "record
>breaking". . .  but I couldn't find any for Native American languages. . .

That's because you were only looking in the Chinese/Han character
database.  Unicode has a full repertory of Cherokee characters, and a very
large repertory for writing in "Canadian syllabics", a catch-all for all
the languages that use Cree-like syllabaries.

>Finally, despite what this seems to say, you still need someone to
>IMPLEMENT the functionality.

Where did it seem to say that you don't need implementations?

>new specifications for processing script. . . (who writes in Script? The
>MIDDLE EAST writes in Script! Isn't it wonderful that the Unicode
>Consortium is supporting the War on Terrorism.)

"script" is the Unicode technical term for a "writing system" possibly for
several languages.  For example, Cherokee syllabics is a script, Canadian
Syllabics is a script, Arabic Script is a script (used for Arabic and a few
dozen other languages), Latin Script is a script (a-z plus all the fancy
stuff), and so on.

I can't tell what you mean by mentioning the Middle East here.  Are you
feeling well?

>The script people met in Berlin, Paris, London and Athens. Anyone care to
>guess who the major
>players are?

We are linguists.

What do you want us to do?