No Child Left Behind: Grants from the Department of Education (fwd)

Phil Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Sep 2 16:45:26 UTC 2003

No Child Left Behind: Grants from the Department of Education

 by: E.S. Dempsey / Washington D.C. correspondent / Indian Country Today

 WASHINGTON - The Department of Education’s Office of Indian Education
disperses more than 1,200 grants to schools. The types of funding fall
under two categories: formula and discretionary.

         According to the National Indian Education Association,
President Bush’s fiscal year 2004 budget request for these programs is
level with 2003. The bulk of the money - almost $100 million - will go
to formula grants intended to improve the performance levels of
American Indian children in elementary and secondary schools.

         The discretionary funding includes $9 million towards
demonstration grants to establish Native language and culture programs
from preschool through high school. Discretionary monies also allot $11
million to professional development grants that emphasize teacher
training. More than 850 Native Americans have completed the American
Indian Teacher Corps program. After five years of training, its
graduates teach in schools having large numbers of Native students.

         Approximately $5 million is being allocated to National
Activities plans, which fund research, evaluation, and data collection
of Native American student performance.

         Victoria Vasques, director of the Office of Indian Education at
the Department of Education, says the grants complement the No Child
Left Behind legislation, and provide an excellent opportunity for
school districts to provide some type of supplemental service to their
students.

         "We try not to tell them what to design or do in their
curricula. But we want to show we are improving in reading skills and
math skills, starting at an earlier age," she said.

         Vasques had been involved in Indian education for two decades.
Early in her career she was director of Indian education programs for
the Whittier Union High School District in California. Over the years
she has consistently seen data showing the low scores for Indian
students in reading, math, and science.

         "Twenty years and I still see the same statistics - it’s sad
that for 20 years we are still doing the same thing. And we’re still
not succeeding. Our Indian kids experience a high dropout rate not only
in senior high school but we see it even in junior high and some cases
even elementary school."

         She says the most important message she wants to deliver is
that the No Child Left Behind Act is intended to help. It will help
American Indians move forward and provide the services that their
students need to be successful.

         Vasques is pleased that the Secretary of Education, Rod Paige,
is elevating the Indian Education office to report directly to the
Under Secretary, Eugene Hickok, effective Oct. 1. Previously Indian
Education fell under the Elementary and Secondary Education office. She
believes that increasing the visibility of American Indian education
programs is essential for raising new achievement levels for Indian
students.

         "Because now we’ll have authority to be responsible for the
administration of these grant programs a little more directly. We can
identify research priorities related to the education of our Indian
kids and facilitate change that might be necessary."

         Ultimately Vasques has one goal: "To make sure that no Indian
child is left behind and to do everything I can to make sure we are
included in the process from A to Z.

This article can be found at http://IndianCountry.com/?1062507500