Squaw Daffiness (sociolinguistics)

Phil CashCash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Sep 19 17:08:01 UTC 2003

I really like your take on this word Scott.  It is an interpretation I
have not yet seen and it is quite appropriate since the male counter
part to squaw is "buck" which would support rather than deny the animal
reference.

One other dehumanizing aspect present in the use of the term squaw is
the reference on the sexual availability of native women to white
males.  It seems to be more a romanticized notion of the west due in
part to movies like "Squaw Man" by Cecile B. Demille (1914, 1931) and
other popular American culture.  Squaw Man even has an entry in the
American Heritgae Dictionary.  Nonetheless, its use is dehumanizing
because it objectifies native woman and denies them their essential
humanity.

thanks, yóx kál'o (that's all),

Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)
UofA