Language influences the way you think(fwd)

David Gene Lewis coyotez at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Sep 23 23:48:08 UTC 2003

Dear all,
I have cut n paste the issue below;

> I would suggest that those who conduct these kind of studies should,
if
> possible, take steps to ensure that the media does not misinterpret
> them, because the effects can be quite damaging.

This is a common problem with the media. Two years ago I had an
article published on the origin of the word Oregon and the media chose
several different ways to report our theory. I think this problem
occurs because their scientific experts are, manytimes, from a
previous generation of education and had preconceived (old school)
scientific notions in their analysis. This may also be why many new
and interesting theories on social science and linguistics don't make
it into the media, because it may be considered too avant garde or
radical for the mainstream. These media scientific analysts could then
be considered gatekeeping and straining current theory for the
mainstream.  I'm at a loss as to see how the original authors of such
articles can have any control over this process. For my article, I was
only ever questioned by local media and the AP never saw fit to call
me to clarify anything before publishing their anaylsis.

I have also found that many people never actually read the original
published articles and rely upon media reports of those articles. I
think this is a cultural phenomenon of the information age, where we
have so much information thrust upon us that we must rely on second
hand media analysis to take much of it in. I know this happens with
myself. But I find that for those few specialized subjects that I am
studying and interested in that I will go get the original articles
when possible.

Perhaps this is the best way we can proceed, and seek to correct media
errors on a case by case basis.

David Lewis