Aboriginal Peoples Survey show Métis at high risk for chronic ailments (fwd)

Phil CashCash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 25 02:17:16 UTC 2003

Aboriginal Peoples Survey show Métis at high risk for chronic ailments
http://www.newswire.ca/releases/September2003/24/c4365.html

    OTTAWA, ON, Sept. 24 /CNW/ - The release today of the initial
findings of Aboriginal Peoples Survey (APS) shows the Métis Nation at
highest risk for chronic pain and for life threatening health
conditions. In the finding entitled "Well-being of the non-reserve
Aboriginal Population" it showed that Métis over the age of 15 had the
highest rates for heart problems and high blood pressure. The Métis
also had the highest rates for stomach problems and intestinal ulcers
and were nearly equal to North American Indian population for high
rates of asthma and rheumatism or arthritis.  The Inuit population had
the lowest rates in all categories. (The APS numbers do not include the
on-reserve population of First Nations.)

    Clem Chartier, Vice-President of the Métis National Council and
Minister of Métis Rights and Self-government said, "It is important for
the Canadian government to come to terms with the health needs of the
Métis population. At the same time our people are struggling with these
urgent health issues; we receive minimal support from the federal
government for our health care needs."

    Harley Desjarlais, Minister of Health said, "the numbers released
today regarding the chronic ailments are of great concern to the Métis
Nation. They paint a picture of pain, people living with arthritis and
stomach problems that are much higher than the Canadian norm. Our
people are also at the risk of some of the biggest killers, heart
problems and high blood pressure."

    Other factors of interest to the Métis Nation include the lowest
rates in learning an Aboriginal language. Aboriginal language being
spoken in the home also dropped precipitously from 1996, when this
factor was last recorded. In 1996 ability to converse in an Aboriginal
language was at 4%, in 2001 the
number dropped to 3%. More telling is the factor of "Aboriginal language
spoken most often at home." In this category the number dropped to 1%
from 3%.

    "This factor tells us that an important part of the Métis culture is
in critical danger. The Michif language, which is unique to the Métis
is being threatened but so are other Aboriginal languages that are a
part of the Métis heritage," said Interim President and National
Spokesperson Audrey Poitras.
"Now is a time for change. We are committed to turning things around. We
now live in a world where our Aboriginal rights are respected in the
constitution of Canada and recognized by the Supreme Court of Canada.
We are determined to make things better for the health and the culture
of the Métis Nation."