COMANCHE CODE TALKERS HONORED (fwd)

Phil CashCash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Sep 28 03:27:30 UTC 2003

COMANCHE CODE TALKERS HONORED

Friday, September 26, 2003
http://216.87.159.49/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=3017

The highlight of today`s ceremony was a tribute paid to the brave
warriors who played a vital role in the United State`s World War Two
victory. The Comanche Code Talkers relayed their secret language to
fellow troops, an undecipherable code that German forces couldn`t
crack. At today`s ceremony, the last living Comanche Code Talker showed
he`s still got it. Charles Chibitty spoke several phrases to the crowd
this afternoon in his native Comanche tongue. A language he still
cherishes to this day.

Centuries of rich history honored at the Comanche Nation tribal complex.
A ceremony commemorating all fallen Comanche heroes. A bronze statue
unveiled as a special tribute to the 17 Comanche Code Talkers that led
the U.S. to victory in World War Two, who before the war, were
forbidden to speak their native language in school. "If they were
caught talking their language, they would be whipped, put on detail,
and in some cases they had they`re mouths washed out with soapy water."

But the same language that led to severe punishment before, became a
thing of legend during World War Two. 17 Comanche Code Talkers are
credited with preventing Germans from intercepting vital, tactical
information. "We want to honor Charles Chibitty, who is 82 years of
age, because brother, you`re the last one remaining and I think you
deserve a round of applause.

Charles Chibitty was one of 17 Comanche Code Talkers who relayed
information during the southern invasion of Germany and on Utah Beach
in Normandy on D-Day. "Many times I said to myself, while the others
was living, we was crazy as hell to join up for this, but we used our
language on the battlefield, just like I am talking English here
today."

The Comanche Code Talkers are all listed on a commemorative quilt and
the bronze statue, capturing the spirit of the Comanche Code Talkers
and that vital role they played in our nations history. "I still talk
Comanche, once in a while I make a slip and I was trying to say
mosquito, I say mosiqua, but that was close enough, mosiqua."

It`s the language and the sacrifice he and other Code Talkers made that
Chibitty hopes his words and this statue honor forever.

Chibitty has lived in Tulsa since 1945 and he says for the rest of his
days, he`ll continue to spread the word to younger genrations so the
Code Talkers history doesn`t fade away.