Linguist: Increasing immigration sparks debate over language (fwd)

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Wed Apr 7 17:33:11 UTC 2004

Very interesting that she declared Hawaiian "dead as far as usage is
concerned." Nice to know that my colleagues, myself and so many of our
children speak a dead language. I didn't know that.

Keola

Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> writes:
>Good article, and I certainly agree that English-only is not only very
>wrong but also pointless as well.
>
>I was, however, somewhat amused to hear the claim that English is spoken
>by the "majority of people around the world."  The world has a
>population of more than 6 billion, and even very liberal estimates of
>those who are reasonably proficient in English usually put the figure at
>around 1.5 billion, with many other more conservative estimates putting
>the figure more around 800 million to one billion.  Even the most
>liberal estimates would put the number of first, second, and foreign
>language speakers of English at only around 25% of the world's
>population.  I would not be surprised if nearly half of the world's
>population has studied English at one time or another, but obviously
>studying often does not lead to ability to speak a language.
>
>phil cash cash wrote:
>
>>Linguist: Increasing immigration sparks debate over language
>>http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/stories/public/200403/31/0daJ_news.html
>>
>>By Jason Dooley, jdooley at bgdailynews.com
>>Wednesday, March 31, 2004
>>
>>With the American population becoming increasingly multilingual, debates
>>over whether the nation should adopt English as an official language
>>have intensified over the past several years.
>>
>>But the United States is far from alone in struggling with the issue,
>>linguist Christina Bratt Paulston said during a lecture at Western
>>Kentucky University on Tuesday night.
>>
>>“A couple of weeks ago, 5,000 high-school students rioted in the streets
>>of Riga, the capital of Latvia,” Paulston said. “They did it because
>>the Latvian Parliament had passed a law that said all Latvian students
>>had to have at least 65 percent of their curriculum in the Latvian
>>language.”
>>Most of the students were of Russian descent, the children of those who
>>occupied Latvia for half a century until the early 1990s.
>>
>>“Nearly all of the Russian speakers in Latvia are monolingual, while
>>nearly all of the Latvian speakers are multilingual,” Paulston said.
>>“This is a classic situation for language shift, and the Latvian
>>Parliament was trying to prevent the death of their language.”
>>
>>A similar situation exists now in France, where universal public
>>education was one of the outcomes of the French Revolution in the late
>>18th century.
>>The spread of public education in the French language lead to the death
>>of several other dialects, such as Occitan, Paulston said.
>>
>>Now, the Academie Francaise closely guards its language – to the point
>>that the French Supreme Court had to decide whether the word
>>“hamburger” should be accepted into the French language.
>>
>>Language rights are becoming a growing issue worldwide as mass
>>communication and globalization of trade have made the world a much
>>smaller place, Paulston said.
>>
>>“We had a church excommunicated by the Vatican not too long ago because
> [...]

Keola Donaghy
Hawaiian Language Curriculum and Technology Coordinator
Native Hawaiian Serving Institution Program
University of Hawai'i at Hilo

keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu        http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~nhsi
Kualono                           http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/