Ethnocomputing

Mon Aug 2 17:08:33 UTC 2004

nice Don!  i will add these references (as hyperlinks) to my resource
listing of research on indigenous languages and technology.

here are some interesting quotations from the article Ethnocomputing a
Multicultural View on Computer Science:

"ethnocomput-ing refers to a cultural perspective in the problem solving
methods, conceptual categories, structures, and models used to
represent data or other computational practices."

"Ethno represents particularity and computing universality, and a
combina-tion of particular and universal leads to computing activ-ity
that takes its place within a culture. The concepts of ethnocomputing
can manifest as direct applications in real-life situations, or objects
among cultural groups, and they reflect the traditional practices of a
culture – whether or not technically advanced."

later,

phil cash cash
UofA, ILAT

http://www.cs.joensuu.fi/~ethno/articles/tedre_matti_ethnocomputing.pdf