Fwd: Re: [A12n-forum] Aboriginal Unicode fonts

Donald Z. Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Thu Aug 5 06:22:00 UTC 2004

Andrew Cunningham, in a reply to my posting news on this font to the "A12n"
lists, noted a small but not insignificant discrepancy in glyphs used for one
character, the capital "eng," in the 2 fonts. In the lower case it is
invariably an "n" with a longer right leg that curves leftward. The two
variants on the upper case are one that looks like the lower case but larger
("n-form"), and one that looks like the upper case with an added line curving
left from the right leg ("N-form"). The former is used in parts of Africa; the
latter in some northern European and Australian aboriginal languages.

As he notes (below), one font used the n-form capital, the other the N-form.

Don Osborn, Ph.D.         dzo at bisharat.net
*Bisharat! A language, technology & development initiative
*Bisharat! Initiative langues - technologie - développement
http://www.bisharat.net

----- Forwarded message from Andrew Cunningham -----

Donald Z. Osborn wrote:

> The Aboriginal Unicode fonts (ttf; serifed and now sans-serif in beta) seem
> have all the Latin character ranges, though the site's character map was
still
> under construction when I checked. It's free and should be useful for most
> African languages. Even though Africa was not the primary audience for the
font
> the version history indicates some attention to African needs.
>
> See http://www.languagegeek.com/font/fontdownload.html . (Pointer from the
ILAT
> list.)

Of the two families Aboriginal Sans and Aboriginal Serif

Aboriginal Sans uses the N-form of capital eng, while Aboriginal Serif uses the
n-form.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
e-Diversity and Content Infrastructure Solutions

andrewc+AEA-vicnet.net.au

Ph. 3-8664-7430
Fax: 3-9639-2175

http://www.openroad.net.au/