Study of obscure Amazon tribe sheds new light on how language affects perception (fwd)

Susan D Penfield sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Aug 21 14:29:57 UTC 2004

Matthew, Myra and all,
Thanks for this discussion...it is a good reminder of how flexible and adaptable
human language is. The communities I work with are busy developing new
vocabulary to meet the demands of science and technology -- new words for
computers, cameras, digital anything, etc. It is an effort to 'own' the present
time in the unique language/cultural environments represented by indigenous
communities. The language will follow the people's needs to the extent that the
people choose to use it for that purpose. Hebrew is a great example and one we
should revisit from time to time. The struggle to save indigenous languages
rests, it seems to me, on making them as much a part of the present as the
past...simply another version of language shift. Much depends on how a given
group envisions the language being used.

Here is a real aside, but maybe still a good example:
  The Pope's Latinist recently revised all the ATMs within Vatican City--all
screen options are written in Latin.... (just food for thought!)

Susan

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
Department of English
University of Arizona