Study of obscure Amazon tribe sheds new light on how language affects perception (fwd)

Jan Tucker jtucker at STARBAND.NET
Thu Aug 26 20:56:27 UTC 2004

Myra, I was wondering myself what the definiton of "tech-language' is and who are the 'native technology speakers'? I like the way you think when you ask the practical question of "...how do we create an understanding of those words ["kinesthetic, hypothesis, abstraction, tech-language, nouns, verbs"]? Even teaching English speakers the meanings of these words isn't an easy task. Would it be helpful to look for examples of the words as they are applied to real life situations. Take kinesthetic for example. First I'd define the word. A quick look-up defines the word as part of kinetic energy,  or energy of motion. Certainly within linguistics there will be a different definiton. I did find this intersting information though in the context of learning styles.

 http://www.mkircus.lunarpages.com/Tutorials/MaxLrnWS/Maximizing%20Learning.ppt
Tactile/Kinesthetic Learners Need:
hands-on activities.
role-playing or acting-out activities.
to manipulate materials.
to incorporate physical activity and feelings into activities.
to move among centers.
be given opportunities to move during lessons.

Jan
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Myra Shawaway
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:03 PM
  Subject: Re: Study of obscure Amazon tribe sheds new light on how language affects perception (fwd)

  The thoughts projected have only left me further in the dark.  I do not understand the definition of 'native technology speakers'. any more than I understand what is meant by 'native languages run away and hide'.  What I do know  is our people of this community understand the connectivity of language and ancestoral cultural as it was and how the changes that are brought on have to be adjusted to and move forward with the new.  We know that part of the difficulities of continuing our languages is the history of how we lost the languages.  So, I continually wonder if  words such as 'cognitive', 'kinesthetic', 'hypothesis', 'abstraction', 'tech-language', 'nouns', 'verbs' are parts of any tribal languages and if not, how do we create an understanding of those words and apply to teachings done by fluent speakers today.  This is great conversation.