Study of obscure Amazon tribe sheds new light on how language affects perception (fwd)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Fri Aug 27 17:54:25 UTC 2004

Good point, Don.  I was reading an article by a linguist studying
Australian Aboriginal languages who referred to a textbook on nuclear
physics, if I remember correctly, that had been translated into a
certain Aboriginal language.  For many indigenous languages, the
resources, will, or perceived need to do such translations is lacking,
but that doesn't mean that these translations cannot be done.

People tend to get very hung-up on lexicon when they get the idea that
you somehow cannot express certain thoughts in certain languages.  The
problem is, most of the pretty much infinite number of ideas that the
human brain is capable of thinking up don't have vocabulary items to go
along with them.  For every concept that has a specific term, there are
many that are expressed by combinations of words.  In other words, most
of the meaning that we make with language is not expressed by single
words, but by putting words together.  What I am writing here is a good
example:  there is not a single word for the idea I am expressing, but
that doesn't stop me from expressing it.    This is one reason why human
language is so flexible:  when a vocabularly item is lacking, one can
paraphrase or otherwise explain.

Of course, there are concepts that are difficult to understand because
of people's cultural backgrounds, but it's not a case of people being
unable to think certain thoughts because their languages lack the "right
resources," as the original article unfortunately put it.