NABE 2005 Conference, 19-22 Jan. 2005

Donald Z. Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Sat Dec 11 04:09:10 UTC 2004

The following notice concerning the annual conference of the National
Association for Bilingual Education (NABE), a US organization, was seen on
MultiEd-L and is reposted here with some reformatting.  DZO

See You in San Antonio

NABE 2005 is fast approaching ~V January 19-22 in San Antonio, Texas ~V and we are
putting the final touches on an exciting program for our 34th annual
conference:
Many Rivers, On Course to Academic Excellence.
http://www.nabe.org/conferences.asp

Also be aware that the deadline for Pre-Registration is Friday, December 17. If
you act now, you can save up to 30 percent versus On-Site Registration fees.
Click here http://www.nabe.org/documents/conference/nabeprintable.pdf for
downloadable registration forms. Better yet, you can register and book your
hotel online http://www.nabe.org/conferences_registration.asp .

As always, the NABE conference will attract the best known experts in the field
of bilingual education. This year there will be many new names as well ~V
outstanding presenters who will address the most timely issues we face:
assessment and accountability, literacy development, language policy, program
design, educational leadership, heritage languages, and multicultural
education.

Here~Rs a partial roster of our confirmed Keynoters, Featured Speakers, and
Honorees:

      Henry Cisneros
      Former U.S. Secretary of HUD

      Sandra Cisneros
      Author, The House on Mango Street

      Lily Eskelsen
      Secretary-Treasurer, National Education Association

      Stephen Krashen
      University of Southern California

      Lily Wong Fillmore
      University of California, Berkeley

      Jim Cummins
      University of Toronto

      Donaldo Macedo
      University of Massachusetts, Boston

      Angela Valenzuela
      University of Texas, Austin

      Raúl Yzaguirre
      National Council of La Raza

      Elaine Garan
      Author, Resisting Reading Mandates

      Alma Flor
      Ada and Isabel Campoy
      Best-Selling Children's Authors

      Fred Genesee
      McGill University

      Mary Jew
      Cupertino (CA) School District and NABE Board

      Daphne Kwok
      Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies

      Alfie Kohn
      Author, The Case Against Standardized Testing and Punished by Rewards

      Sonia Nieto
      Author, Affirming Diversity
      University of Massachusetts, Amherst

      Virginia Collier and Wayne Thomas
      George Mason University

      James Crawford
      NABE Executive Director
      Author, Educating English Learners

      Yvonne and David Freeman
      University of Texas, Pan American

      Mary Eunice Romero
      Cochiti Pueblo and Arizona State University

      Teresa McCarty
      Arizona State University

      Jamal Abedi
      Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing, UCLA

      Monty Neill
      FairTest (National  Center for Fair and Open Testing)

      Sylvia Hatton
      TX Region One Education Service Center

      Anton Treuer
      Ojibwe Language Program, Bemidje State University

      Consuelo Kickbusch LTC (Ret.)
      Motivational Speaker

Meanwhile, NABE Special Interest Groups are planning institutes in Asian and
Pacific American Education, Critical Pedagogy, Early Childhood, Elementary
Education, Gifted and Talented, Higher Education, Indigenous Bilingual
Education, Language Policy, Paraprofessionals, Research, Secondary Education,
Special Education, and World Languages and Cultures. The annual Parent
Institute will take place on Friday, January 21. And don~Rt forget our
Pre-Conference activities on Wednesday, January 19: the all-day Dual Language
Institute, and half-day Intensive Sessions on Special Education, Literacy and
Writing, Low-Incidence Language Groups, and Second-Language Acquisition.

A NABE conference would not be complete without plenty of great food, music, and
dancing. Be sure to mark your calendars for the President~Rs Reception and Dance
(a free event) after our Opening Ceremonies on Wednesday evening and the NABE
Fundraiser Dance on Saturday from 8 p.m. to midnight. Meanwhile, there~Rs a
great deal to do in San Antonio, home to the Riverwalk, Historic Market Square,
the Institute of Texan Cultures, and many other attractions.

For more information about the NABE 2005 program, accommodations, and logistics,
please visit our web site at http://www.nabe.org/.
Or email us at nabe at nabe.org.

I really hope you can join us for a productive and memorable conference.

~V  James Crawford
   NABE Executive Director

----- End forwarded message -----