Government language study released (fwd)

MiaKalish@LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Dec 20 18:25:19 UTC 2004

You know Susan, you bring up a really good point. Since we are in semester
break, perhaps people have time.

Is Patience the right way to deal with these issues?

Here's "my" logic, which is to say, this is how I am evaluating things, Not:
This is the way everyone should a) see it; b) do it.

    1. I have a limited amount of time;
    2. Correspondlingly, I have a limited amount of money;
    3. Elders are dying more quickly than I can research, design, and build
good technology;
    4. Hundreds of languages die every year;
    5. Much of the dialog in Tribes that I have been exposed to is based ed
on the premise that those of us who are
        trying to help a) want something that we haven't yet disclosed, that
is, we are trying to get over on them so we
        will get vast fortunes, none of which will acrue to them; and, b)
because we are waiting for such a huge reward,
        we will wait.
    6. All the time I was "patient", I didn't make much progress. It was
only when I got fed up and went away that things started to get better. Of
course, I don't know if the Tribe will be successful in saving language and
culture, but at least I will be able to do things that will be of value to
others who are interested.

Others?
Mia