Government language study released (fwd)

MiaKalish@LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Dec 20 21:41:43 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rolland Nadjiwon" <mikinakn at SHAW.CA>
To: <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: Government language study released (fwd)

> What if you are working with a language that has no(your last paragraph)
> pronouns, genderization, binarism or linearity(time/history)...do you
invent
> them?

shouldn't. The world's languages are not based on "English". . . or PIE
(Proto-Indo-European, either, for that matter)

> If the language, or anything of the 'other' for that matter, is reinvented
> to fit the structure is this not somewhat of a 'Cinderella Syndrome' --
the
> stepsisters distorted contortions to fit their gross feet into the glass
> slipper.
see my comments on Powell.

> Further, 'tribal politics' is not an obstacle it is a process, an
'obstacle'
> perhaps to externalized retrofitting retrofitters.
>
> Obviously, there is so much more to this.
I came here from the East, where to my feeble perceptions, people treat each
other equitably, and with respect. I wasn't prepared for the historical
passive-agressive smash and bash games people play here. So. . . one day . .
. considering my pain in a hour of navel-gazing, I realized that I wanted to
be treated with respect, There was no reason for people to treat me badly
simply because I had worked so hard, studied, learned, perfected few things.
I also realized that if I wanted respect, I was going to have to take action
that said, No, I am not going to put up with you treating me like this while
I continue to HOPE that one day you will treat me decently.

So I voted. With my feet.

And you know, people were surprised. They were surprised that I was unhappy
and that I did something about it besides talking and hoping.

I was surprised that they were surprised. I thought they were doing what
they were doing consciously, and on purpose, all along.

It was the Kline bottle of social relations.