analog-to-digital devices

Fri Dec 31 19:16:36 UTC 2004

Nuuyee, Nuuyee!
(New Year! in Pidgin English)

A number of analog-to-digital devices came out recently that might be of
interest to our ILAT members, especially those working directly with
analog audio and video recordings on a daily basis.  With the prices
coming down, these devices will make it easier to transfer your analog
(cassette tapes and VHS tapes) recordings to digital format.

Audio (analog-to-digital)

PowerWave
USB Audio Interface & Amplifier (online 99$)
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/

Video (analog-to-digital)

Canopus ADVC-100
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/advc100.html

Pextor series
http://www.plextor.com/english/products/product_dvc.html

my mini-review: I recently acquired the PowerWave because of the price
(student budget) and I must say that it works great.  I am now able to
transfer all of my analog tape recordings directly into my computers,
both Mac and PC.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that
analog-to-digital audio capture works fine with Audacity (free audio
editor).

Phil Cash Cash
UofA, ILAT