Regional languages dying in mixed marriages (fwd)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Mon Feb 2 18:23:14 UTC 2004

If Native American societies had been allowed to develop as independent
states, then you would probably see this kind of thing happening on a
widespread scale: language shift occuring in the direction of more
powerful indigenous languages, rather than in the direction of colonial
languages. You would still see endangered minority languages, but you
would also have powerful, thriving indigenous languages, as India has.

The sad thing is that in the American continents, four colonial
languages (Spanish, English, Portuguese and French) are official or
de-facto official in every state, and very few countries have given
either official recognition or widespread official use to indigenous
languages, which has put the latter in a precarious position.

I personally believe that making indigenous languages the de facto state
languages of various reservations or regions would be one of the most
effective ways to fight back. Some of the Alaskan languages, for
example, are relatively healthy, due to their widespread use in local
government and education. It is easier to maintain a language when using
that language is required in order to participate in a variety of
spheres within a given society.

To take the article we read about Easter Island for an example, if
Spanish-speaking newcomers to Easter Island had to learn the local
language in order to navigate local government and education, they would
be more likely to learn that language, and the locals would have a
concrete, practical reason for passing the language on to their
children. I have read about Spanish-speaking migrants to Basque country
in Spain who have complained bitterly about having to learn Basque, but,
in my view, the Basques are simply doing what they need to do in order
to maintain their culture. European minority languages like Catatlan and
Basque remain healthy because their speakers have won political battles
which have enabled them to restore their languages' official status and
use. Hopefully, indigenous people in America (meaning, the American
continents) will be able to win similar battles.