Accuracy of Internet academic (fwd)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Sat Feb 14 15:48:46 UTC 2004

Accuracy of Internet academic
'Like trying to pull a library book without the Dewey Decimal system'
http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/artslife/story.html?
id=35deb42a-93e2-4cbc-befe-59b5f8ce483

Siri Agrell

National Post

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Laura Buszard-Welcher thought she had found the perfect source to
support her PhD research on endangered languages. The anthropologist
was completing her doctorate at the University of California, Berkeley,
when she discovered the Web site of someone who spoke the obscure and
threatened dialect she was investigating.

She referred to the site in her research, which was later published as
a book. Months later, when she revisited the site, she discovered her
research now cited something quite different.

"It took me to some porno site," says Buszard-Welcher, now a professor
at Wayne State University in Michigan and one of a growing population
of anthropologists who have logged on to the Internet as a way to study
human society.

Cyberanthropology is a growing area of study. Through the Web,
anthropologists are discovering societies that reveal themselves online
while remaining submerged in the world at large.

But, as Buszard-Welcher and others have found, cyberanthropology
requires the navigation of many pitfalls -- issues of accuracy,
credibility and professional esteem -- even as it unearths communities
at the click of a button.

"I'm finding a lot more language information than I would otherwise
have had access to," Buszard-Welcher says. "But you have to be
critical. Just like picking up a book off the library shelf, you have
to decide how important it's going to be."

As an undergraduate, Buszard-Welcher knew she wanted to explore
endangered languages and the tools used to protect them.

At first, she studied a native dialect (a form of Ojibwa) which was
local to the area of Michigan where she grew up. But she soon began to
look farther afield and her curiosity led her online.

When her computer started speaking Potawatomi, a language spoken by
only about 50 people, she had found her thesis.

"People have created Web sites to promote this language, to learn this
language again, bring it back to widespread use," she says. "People
from these far-flung communities are becoming integrated in ways that
they couldn't have before because of physical distances."

Online language preservation is now her specialty. When not studying
Potawatomi, she is collecting URLs for other language projects,
monitoring the different techniques people are using to protect their
traditional tongues.

But as any Web browser knows, surfing the Internet often becomes a
struggle to stay afloat in a sea of spam. Looking for an academically
useful online source is like finding a library book without the Dewey
Decimal system. But anthropologists are patient.

"There are all these resources out there that people haven't learned to
share," Buszard-Welcher says. "I think if people start making their
information available on the Web, it's going to have a huge impact on
our field."

She fantasizes about the world of information that will be at her
fingertips as soon as someone thinks to upload it. Right now, someone
could be building the site she has been looking for all her scholarly
life.

When she does unearth a useful site, she is confronted with issues of
credibility. "It's a problem of figuring out whether a site is
authoritative," she says. "That's a problem in academia in general."

Though most universities have their own standards for citing the
Internet, following The Chicago Manual of Style, there is still
resistance to its use as a primary or even secondary source. The
Internet is frowned upon because of the very traits that make it
effective for the public: an utter lack of controls.

Academic journals are rigorously researched, cited and peer-reviewed, a
level of oversight that is currently impossible for
cyberanthropologists.

"If you do it anyway, it's going to impact you negatively in terms of
tenure decisions and that kind of thing," Buszard-Welcher says of
citing online material. "I would be very happy if people in my
profession would change their attitude and accept it as more valuable
than it's particularly seen to be."

David Zeitlyn, an anthropologist at the University of Kent in
Canterbury, England, says there are valid reasons to distrust Internet
research. "There's a lot of what I perceive as bad anthropology that
uses the Internet," he says. "People say they're doing the ethnography
of the Internet by sitting at their desk and playing around in [chat
rooms].

"For me, the whole point of anthropology is that you're not looking at
one little part of society, you're looking at how all the parts
interconnect. So, you might start or end up with how people are using
the Internet. But as an anthropologist, I want to look at a whole load
of other things."

The Internet reveals little about human behaviour, he says, because it
does not explain why people are doing what they are doing.

Resources such as the Google Zeitgeist -- a yearly compilation of
search trends -- should be used as an index, not an encyclopedia, he
says.

"It's a starting point. It raises questions," Zeitlyn says of the
feature. "But taking those patterns by themselves doesn't do enough.
Questions can only be answered by doing weird things like talking to
people. And I don't mean sending them an e-mail."

Zeitlyn is a leading voice on the Internet's impact on society. It is
an interesting jump from his anthropological area of expertise: the
methods of divination in rural Cameroon -- how tribes interpret the
signs and omens around them.

He sees the Web as a harbinger of things to come, but does not believe
the patterns of its use can be read like chicken bones to divine the
past or the future.

For him, the Internet is a way "to do classic anthropology better" --
to access more research, monitor more communities and keep in constant
touch with the world.

Already, he sees ways to make the Internet a more authoritative
research tool. Through Google's cached pages -- photographs of every
page created -- such researchers as Buszard-Welcher can find expired
sources without being redirected to HOT TEEN GIRLS.com.

"There are ways of turning the clock back," he says. "There's loads of
unreliable stuff printed on paper, too. The critical thing is being
critical."

Zeitlyn doubts that the Internet can be sharpened into the primary tool
for anthropologists, but his research partner and co-author, Michael
Fischer, who also spoke to me from the University of Kent, says,
"Things could change over the next decade. There could be pervasive
network connections that will make our broadband seem like teletype.
It'll look like we're just standing still right now."

He believes the Internet is already "pretty authoritative" as a source
and is limited only by perception, not content.

"Just like in real life, some people misrepresent themselves," he says
of online content. "But you have to know an awful lot to misrepresent
yourself successfully.

"I suspect [most people are] being more themselves," he says of the
online individual. "Part of what society and culture do is force you to
present yourself in a way that is appropriate to the parties that are
observing you, not to do what you want to do."

But relevant human voices are being drowned out by corporate or private
interests on the Internet, he says. Such search engines as Google are
quickly becoming redundant as people learn to manipulate the system.

Type the words "Miserable Failure" into a Google search and the first
link delivered is the White House biography of President George W.
Bush.

The Google algorithm rates sites by the number of other pages that link
to them. The more sites that connect the phrase "miserable failure" to
the White House, the higher its ranking becomes.

A search of "Santorum," the last name of U.S. Senator Rick Santorum,
brings up his own Web site but also references to the sexual by-product
of a homosexual act, named for the Senator by a syndicated columnist
outraged by his anti-gay remarks.

This sort of "Google Bombing" is so pervasive that it is impossible to
know if search results are clean.

"Google is only adaptive in terms of popularity," Fischer says. "And
popularity doesn't always result in the highest quality."

While Google is busy developing commercial and pop-culture
applications, the less advanced sites, such as Hot Bot and Lycos, are
more useful for authoritative searches, he says. "The net was actually
at its most useful for academics between '95 and '98, because the rest
of you weren't on it."

In the early days, the Internet was the domain of dorks and doyennes
only.

"At that time, most of it was actually people trying to use this as an
alternative medium to get stuff out there," he says. "Now it's gotten
much harder to find information. Google ... but it doesn't promote
depth. On the other hand, most people don't want depth; they want to
buy a TV and it's really good for that."

For academics, the Great Byte Hope is called the "Grid."

The U.K. government is funding Zeitlyn and Fischer to try out a new
subscription-based information-sharing system.

The Grid is for research organizations, accessible by invitation only.

"It's the so-called eScience grid," Fischer says. "It's actually built
around the notion of people having to have credentials to know things."

The Grid is privately controlled, expensive to get into and extremely
interesting to academics, private research groups and governments.

Unlike conventional networks that accommodate communication between
machines, grid computing harnesses the unused processing capacity of
all computers in a network to solve problems too intensive for any one
machine. It feeds on a network of communal resources, sucking its power
like a matrix. "They need all the power to analyze all the material
that's out there in the public," Fischer says.

With Zeitlyn, Fischer has long used the Internet to track human
behaviour. Now he is considering writing a book about ways to avoid
online monitoring, or "data mining" as he calls it.

As an anthropologist, he has learned to embrace the Internet as a tool
to study, but as a person, he thinks applications such as the Grid have
frightening Big Brother potential.

"Am I trying to sabotage the Internet's effectiveness in terms of
monitoring human behaviour?" he asks. "Absolutely. Once it becomes
effective, you're going to have to."

© National Post 2004