Aboriginal language to be taught at school (fwd)

Wed Feb 18 15:59:47 UTC 2004

Aboriginal language to be taught at school

Wednesday, 18 February 2004
http://lightningridge.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=general%20news&story_id=286719&y=2004&m=2

Lightning Ridge Central School officially opened its Aboriginal Language
and Resource Room last Monday.

Aboriginal elders, community members and students met to celebrate the
long-awaited opening and the start of the teaching of Aboriginal
languages at school.

Principal Peter Partridge, Aunty Rose Fernando, Liz Smith and Rhonda
Ashby spoke about the importance of learning the Aboriginal language
and the infusion of Aboriginal culture into the school.

Mr Partridge also introduced the "Dare to Lead" program, which is a
commitment to improving the education of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander students.

"It's a group of Australian schools and educational institutions,
publicly committed to advancing the cause of reconciliation, between
Australia's indigenous and non-indigenous people. In partnership with
families and communities we commit ourselves to accelerating
improvements in the quality of education for Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander students," Mr Partridge said.

"I'm keen to do that because I fully believe our children are only going
to be enriched at this school in understanding the way that the
Aboriginal people have lived on this land for so many years."

In committing to the program the school will be aiming at a 10 per cent
improvement in secondary students' attendance and Aboriginal students
in the bottom bands in public testing in three years.

Mr Partridge also spoke strongly about the attendance records of
students and asked the community to help encourage them to come to
school.