Make Pidgin English Lingua Franca

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Fri Feb 20 23:24:10 UTC 2004

I've been putting off responding to this item because I wanted to reflect on
it before responding.  First the Webbook of African Languages at
http://www.isp.msu.edu/AfrLang/hiermenu.html has a profile of Pidgin along
with Krio (navigate the frames to look under the latter or go directly to
http://www.isp.msu.edu/AfrLang/Krio_root.html ).  Ethnologue of course has
something on it - see http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=PCM

On Nigerian languages, Ethnologue says "The number of languages listed for
Nigeria is 515. Of those, 505 are living languages, 2 are second languages
without mother tongue speakers, and 8 are extinct." (
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=Nigeria )  I have heard (no
citation) other estimates of Nigerian languages of ~350.  At least part of
the discrepancy may be accounted for by how one defines language.

Pidgins of course are "contact languages" or "a simplified speech used for
communication between people with different languages" (the latter being a
Merriam-Webster def.).

In some measure I guess there may be a creolization of pidgin in parts of
Nigeria (leading to a more or less stable form) but the initial thought is
that a pidgin or even a creole has a limited vocabulary and range of
expression.

All that said, while it certainly makes sense to acknowledge the use of
pidgins, I wonder how helpful it would be to raise the status of a pidgin in
the way implied by the article.  In effect where it exists it is there, but
otherwise it adds another layer of language in an already complex situation.
For people who may have one maternal language, use another regional one if
different from the maternal language (e.g., Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo), and learn
English, now they'd have to learn pidgin also.

Would promotion of pidgin mainly serve to 1) hasten the disappearance of
minority languages and 2) institutionalize "dumbed down" expression in the
process?

With regard to Resa's comments, one would be tempted to take the point a
step further - what about the many indigenous languages, and why raise the
status of pidgin more than those?

It is funny that I saw this article at about the same time I learned of a
statement by an African youth conference in Windhoek last year which called
for establishment of a "new panAfrican language."  What this and the
promotion of pidgin would seem to have in common - however well intended -
is to complicate not simplify Africa's multilingual situations.

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net