Babel's Children (fwd)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Thu Jan 15 23:13:06 UTC 2004

Whorf wrote that the Hopi language contains "no words, grammatical
forms, constructions or expressions that refer directly to what we call
"time", or to past, present, or future, or to enduring or lasting..."

(p. 57, Whorf, Benjamin Lee (1956) Language, Thought, and Reality:
Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee Whorf, Cambridge, Mass,: MIT Press.)

In my experience, this is possibly the most famous and influencial
statement Whorf ever made, and has created a rather widespread urban
myth.  Sometimes, the language in question becomes an African or Pacific
language; it is always the language of a people considered "primitive"
by the retellers of the myth. It is very unfortunate that this statement
has become so widely repeated, especially since it is not even remotely
true.  If you happen to, as I do, live in the SW, you can check the
accuracy of the statement simply by asking any member of the Hopi tribe.

Actually, it is well-documented that Hopi does indeed contain tense,
numerous time words, as well as a very complicated calendar, as well as
traditions which contain a great deal of explicit references to events
which are clearly either recorded past events or predicted future
events.  Hopi ceremonial days are very strictly adhered to, something
which requires a very extensive concept of time.

No-one is really sure where Whorf's claims about the Hopi language and
time came from.