Native language programs running afoul of No Child Left Behind (fwd)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Tue Jan 27 17:26:36 UTC 2004

Dear ILAT,

It seems that the NCLB is in direct conflict with the 'intent' of
PUBLIC LAW 101-477 NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGES ACT of 1990 in that
federal policies are being implemented with out recognition to the
"special status" of NA languages.  For example, in section 6 Congress
found:

"(6) there is convincing evidence that student achievement and
performance, community and school pride, and educational opportunity is
clearly and directly tied to respect for, and support of, the first
language of the child or student;"

Further, in SEC. 104. It is the policy of the United States to--

"7) support the granting of comparable proficiency achieved through
course work in a Native American language the same academic credit as
comparable proficiency achieved through course work in a foreign
language, with recognition of such Native American language proficiency
by institutions of higher education as fulfilling foreign language
entrance or degree requirements; and"

What is even more troubling is the statement that Education Secretary
Paige is making no exemptions to Native American or Alaskan Native
populations.

This is disturbing news and I hope it will be resolved fairly in favor
of Indigenous languages.

Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)
UofA, ILAT