Regional languages dying in mixed marriages (fwd)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Thu Jan 29 23:11:55 UTC 2004

It's my understanding that there is indeed language shift going on in
India, but it is mostly in the direction of Hindi or other major state
languages.  Hindi is now estimated by some to be the native language of
fully one-third of the population, which means, with the population of
India having recently passed one billion, that the number of Hindi
native speakers in the world population (let alone in India) may have
already caught up with that of English.  In fact, in the next century
Hindi is widely forecasted to pass both English and Spanish to become
the world's second largest native tongue, second only to Mandarin Chinese.

As for language shift to English, it probably does occur to a certain
degree when you are dealing with people like those described in the
article:  children of members of the small upper-class elite, who are
are products of mixed marriages, and whose parents both speak minority
languages and are likely to be fluent in English.  But, for the large
majority of Indians who are not members of  this elite, mixed marriages
are far more likely to favor dominant indigenous languages like Hindi.
 At any rates, even liberal estimates put the native-English speaking
population of India at a tiny fraction.

A personal observation:  for some reason, there are a number of Indian
students in Las Vegas, New Mexico, where I am living, and although they
come from a variety of Indian states and speak a variety of Indian
languages, they use Hindi as their lingua franca, although they are
living in an English-speaking country and studying in English.  Were two
such people to marry, it seems clear that their children would be
hearing mostly Hindi at home.

There is also quite a large anti-English movement in India, and there
have been a growing number of states which have eliminated English as
one of their official languages in recent years.  This is, in my mind, a
positive development, but I have also read articles that argue that the
focus on containing the national role of English sometimes obscures a
more pressing issue:  the widespread loss of minority languages to more
dominant Indian languages.  In the more populated north, especially,
where most languages are related to Hindi, the spread of Hindi as the
national languages has met with little resistance, as it is not seen as
an alien language.  Consequently, it puts minority languages at a great
deal of risk.  In the south, where people speak completely unrelated
languages, there is more resistance to Hindi, which has allowed English
to remain a lingua franca to a greater degree, arguably a negative
development, but it also reduces the likehood that local languages will
be replaced by Hindi.  Certainly, it is a very good thing indeed that
India has chosen for their national language an indigenous language over
a colonial language, and I agree that they should continue to expand the
role of Hindi at the expense of English, but it does necessarily make
the position of minority languages any more secure.
For an extreme example of this kind of thing, I think of France, which
speaks one of the most dominant languages in the world.  All of the
French paranoia about English loan words (which have about as much
potential of "harming" French as tens of thousands of French loan-words
have "harmed" English) have obscured the reality that French-only
policies, some of the most conservative in any modern democracy, have
put traditional languages like Breton in great danger.

I think that the world in general, and not only the people who live in
the major English-speaking countries, have a good reason to be wary of
the English language, but it is not good to let that wariness draw
attention away from the reality that most of the endangered minority
languages in the world are not being replaced by English.