SSIL

David Lewis coyotez at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Jul 8 21:06:36 UTC 2004

Klahowya Tillicums,
the SSIL site is very good but some of their info is severely outdated.
Please be aware and critical of this in anything you read on their site.
For example their information on Kalapuya is thus,

  KALAPUYA: a language of USA
  <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=USA>

SIL code:       KAL
ISO 639-2:      nai <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_iso639.asp?code=nai>

/Population/    1 or 2 speakers (1962 Chafe).
/Region/        Northwest Oregon.
/Alternate names  /     SANTIAM, LUKAMIUTE, WAPATU
/Classification/        Penutian, Oregon Penutian, Kalapuyan.
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=KAL>
/Comments/      Bilingualism in English. All over 50 years old (1962).
Nearly extinct.

The last speaker of Kalapuya died in the late 50s, he was probably John
Hudson Jr., Santiam Kalapuya  of Grand Ronde Reservation, my great great
grandfather. I have not heard that any other speakers lived past him and
everywhere else Kalapuya is considered extinct. So their info is 50
years out of date. Therefore, I would be suspicious of any of their
content. Consult Scott DeLancy's linguistics webpage for the most
current info., or call the Grand Ronde tribe.
David