Which comes first, language or thought? (fwd)

Mia - Main Red Pony miakalish at REDPONY.US
Fri Jul 23 20:57:37 UTC 2004

I can recommend Vygotsky, Thought and Language, translated by Hanfmann and
Vakar. Although old, it contains a precise and developmentally detailed
discussion of the issue using analysis of the writings of Piaget, who for a
long time dominated developmental psychology, and other theories of language
development.

Current research in biology has uncovered dynamical systems that require
language as representation. Additional research has shown that bats have
more than 40 meaning-laden "calls". Certain wasps create and care for up to
15 nests, with differently-aged larvae in each, where each requires a
different type of food. Such systems are complex, and require
representational systems, which in human sytems are called 'language'.

I believe that the assumption that only humans have language is false and is
based both on unexamined assumptions and independent biases, some fueled by
religious beliefs and others by discussions of Chomsky's proposed and
vehemently defended "language module".

What is most true about language and thought is that most people don't
understand either one, nor the relationship between the two. Patricia Kuhl
has done extensive research on how human infants form models of
understanding. What is clear from her research is that the children, even
the infant-sized ones, have cognitive models to which they are matching
movements. Some of these movements include word formation and speechifying.
Children first mold themselves to the models in their heads, and then move
the modeled understandings to their extremities.

"Language" is a multi-component object. When one understands and can
physically represent each and every component, and each component's function
in different processes, plus each component's diachronic variation over time
and by process, then one sees the quetion of chickens, eggs, thought, and
language as an exercise in sophistry.

Mia Kalish
Tularosa