Emergency measures needed to preserve aboriginal languages (fwd)

Tue Jun 15 15:43:32 UTC 2004

Emergency measures needed to preserve aboriginal languages

Saskatchewan News Network; Regina Leader-Post
Monday, June 14, 2004
http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/starphoenix/news/local/story.html?id=48267ac9-7cfc-4ab4-8f84-1b130de28831

REGINA (SNN) -- Only three of 60 aboriginal languages will survive in
Canada unless emergency measures are taken, said the chair of a federal
task force on the preservation of languages.

"The loss of an aboriginal language represents the death of a part of
Canada," said Ron Ignace, chair of the Task Force on Aboriginal
Languages and Cultures.

The group was in Fort Qu'Appelle Saturday, discussing the future of
First Nations languages in Saskatchewan with 15 invited guests. Ignace
said the objective of the task force is to make policy recommendations
for sustaining aboriginal languages to the federal minister of
heritage.

The task force is holding 13 focus group hearings across Canada to
gather information. The group is consulting with aboriginal people,
federal ministries, and provincial and territorial governments.

Florence Carrier, from the Piapot First Nations, was invited to speak
with the task force. She said younger generations do not undertand the
importance of her Cree language.

"Our language is our foundation as a First Nation," said Carrier.

She explained that the leadership of the province and country needs to
take a greater interest in retaining languages, not just with
adolescents, but also with adults.

"Teaching language in the school environment is not going to solve our
problem. We have to have it at home. So there have to be programs
within the community that we can enrich that," said Carrier.

In December 2002, the federal government allocated more than $160
million for the preservation of First Nations languages. Ignace said
the task force will also make recommendations for the creation of a
not-for-profit corporate entity that will manage the money.

The task force will also make recommendations for the creation of an
aboriginal languages and cultural centre. Ignace said that it will not
be a bricks and mortar building, but will be a centralized location of
information that can be shared.

"What we will be looking at is electronic means, to websites so we can
exchange best practices for the preservation of language and culture,"
said Ignace.

The recommendations are due Sept. 15, but Ignace said an extension has
been requested.

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2004