FW: Message from the Premier (fwd)

Scott DeLancey delancey at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Jun 21 18:06:12 UTC 2004

From the Government of the Northwest Territories (Canada):

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Messenger /YK /PWS
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 4:22 PM
Subject: Message from the Premier

To all GNWT Employees:

Monday June 21st is a statutory holiday in celebration of National
Aboriginal Day.

Our jurisdiction remains the only one in the country to mark Aboriginal
Day in this manner. It represents a benchmark for all of Canada and
something that I believe all of us, as Northerners and NWT residents can

be very proud of.

National Aboriginal Day is an opportunity to pay tribute to the many
Aboriginal friends and colleagues with whom we live and work daily - and

to acknowledge the countless ways in which their lives enrich our own.

Take a look around. In our government, schools, businesses and
communities, the symbols, values and traditions of the Dene, Métis and
Inuvialuit people are displayed and embraced.

Aboriginal history, language, arts and cultural customs are an integral
part of who we are as Canada's northern people.

Our celebration of National Aboriginal day, and the manner in which we
have chosen to embrace it, reflects the unique and multicultural
identity that distinguishes us all as residents of the Northwest
Territories.

I encourage you all to take time on June 21st to participate in National

Aboriginal Day celebrations in your community.

Joseph L Handley
Premier