Métis Nation Continues Efforts to Revive its Unique Language (fwd)

Thu Mar 4 16:38:10 UTC 2004

Métis Nation Continues Efforts to Revive its Unique Language - Michif
http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/March2004/03/c6721.html

    RICHMOND, BC, March 3 /CNW/ - "The Métis Nation is committed to
supporting and strengthening the Michif language to ensure it remains in
its rightful place at the centre of our culture," said Harley
Desjarlais,
President of the Métis Provincial Council of British Columbia. BC is the
Métis National Council Governing Member that is hosting the 3rd Michif
Language Conference.

    Bruce Dumont, is a member of the Métis National Council's Michif
Working Group and one of the conference organizers. "There is an
appetite for the revival of Michif across the Métis Homeland. Our
people want to know about the language and learn the language," said
Mr. Dumont. "I believe our biggest challenge is the
instruction/teaching of the language."

    This year's conference will focus on learning and immersion. There
will be discussions on language development, curriculum proposals, and
education components. The conference will also include discussion on
the future direction of the revival and development of the Michif
Language.

    Clément Chartier, President of the Métis National Council extended
his
best wishes to those who will attend the upcoming conference and the
people who promote the language across the Métis Homeland. "I'm
thankful for all those Métis citizens who are committed to the Michif
language, it is through their efforts that we are keeping our language
alive. The Michif language is a part of our distinct cultural heritage
and everyone who works in preserving and passing on the language
deserves our utmost support."

                    3rd Annual Michif Language Conference
                               March 5-7, 2004
                          Hilton Vancouver Airport
                                Richmond, BC
     "Aen kwa ney taa maak nutr lawng Michif - Keeping our talk Michif"

For further information: Miles Morrisseau, Director of Communications,
Métis National Council, 613-232-3216, (cell) 613-612-5753; Katelin
Peltier, Communications Officer, Métis National Council, 613-232-3216,
(cell) 613-859-7130