Indn Words for Science

Mia - Main Red Pony miakalish at REDPONY.US
Sun Mar 7 17:21:19 UTC 2004

Hi, Andre,

This is a wonderful document for the Exploratoria that we will be building
if we get the big NSF grant we applied for.

I wasn't asking for the words for use in teaching materials, though. I
wanted them for a generalized approach that says, It's time to stop looking
at Indns as simple, superstitious creatures, because white people screwed up
to begin with by biasing their learning about the people here because of
J.W. Powell.

I am taking a class in petroglyphs, and the ideas that the people writing
come up with are really, truly, offensive (at least to me, but being a
Cognitive Psychologist, I am probably more sensitive to it than most
people). On the one hand, we have David Lewis-Williams with his theory that
much of what has been created on rocks is "shamanistic in nature", a theory
he started to try to "understand" the rock paintings of the San bushmen, and
on the other Ron Eckland, who has aptly and admirably demonstrated that
African patterns are based on fractal geometry. As you might well imagine,
David Lewis-Williams had only to make his theories up in his head, and
search through the literature finding people who had written things that
agreed with his ideas. Eckland, on the other hand, had actually to derive
the equations, and run them through the computer to demonstrate that the
equations appropriately represented the structures.

I think I have mentioned this before: I use technology to develop effective
teaching materials, but unlike most people, I target my goals at adults. The
things I have developed so far work well for children, but more
significantly, they work well for adults, who people think can't learn
languages. Now I am expanding a little, to take the simultaneous,
multi-perceptual presentation form and apply it to more difficult learning,
like computer algorithms, for example. This is a course most people fail; I
think I can develop materials that teach enough, painlessly, enjoyably, so
most everyone does well. I say "most", because you can't guarantee that
everyone will do the class work.

This was kind of an aside: my goal here is really simple. It is to be able
to say, Powell was a vicious idiot, and the rest of us are living with the
results of that perniciousness.

Kind of harsh, huh? There was a lake named after him when they dammed the
Colorado. Harrington, unarguably one of the best linguists and ethnographers
Ever, left us a clue in a 1907 publication that Powell was forcing all
analysis of Native languages in the English structure and component
framework. He could do that, because he was the gatekeeper at the
Smithsonian.

So thanks, Andre. I was going to say, I guess there are no words for
scientific and mathematical concepts left in your language, either. However,
I have one more perspective to share. The "tools" that a non-destructive,
hunter-gatherer society uses (and looks for) are different from the tools a
sedentary, ecologically destructive agricultural society uses (and looks
for) and both of these are extremely much different from the tools of an
industrial society. These different "ways of surviving" also contain
different sets of questions asked and answered, cultural goals and
expectations, and vocabularies in general.

Hence my question: Did any Indn words survive the Powell Purge?

Hope you are having a nice day. It is beautiful here in NM; a wonderful
winter storm went through leaving us much needed rain and snow. I know you
don't have that problem up there in exquisitely beautiful northern
California.

best,
mia