Native Languages and 'science'

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Tue Mar 9 08:24:22 UTC 2004

Very interesting thread.  Here are three quick thoughts...

1) In some languages the term used for "science" is "knowledge."  At the
same time there may be more than one word for knowledge (to know) as well as
related terms.  I hope it doesn't sound too pedantic to suggest to step back
and take in the larger semantic field. In Bambara, for one W. African
example, the verb ka don (with the o being an open o, written as a reversed
c) = to know, and donniya means knowledge in many senses including science
broadly speaking.  In this language some prefixes can make different kinds
of knowledge (someone suggested that this is the process in some languages).

2) The "scientific method" may or may not be a unique contribution of the
West (even with the pitfalls of misapplication of reductionist logic), but
research is something people have done in one way or another for ages.
Someone suggested a connection with shamans. One might also make a
connection with farmers. The genesis of agriculture must have been quite
interesting, involving need, observation, trial and error, communication,
passing on, and an often forgotten dimension, fun.  In short, science under
whatever name.  And this continued and continues in many ways.

3) While packing more books (for moving), I took a look at a passage from a
book by Malidoma Patrice Somé (The Healing Wisdom of Africa, Tarcher/Putnam
1998) in which he compared his mentor to a "gifted indigenous scientist, the
kind that Westerners might call a shaman."  Though not an academic title,
this work may have interesting comparative perspectives on indigenous belief
systems.  Among other things he also describes some aspects of his
experience in colonial (mission) boarding schools and return to his Dagara
culture - that and language are discussed in the introduction.

Don Osborn