Fw: Request for Latin American indigenous groups US

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Wed Mar 10 20:30:08 UTC 2004

FYI...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Monroe" <ryan_monroe at hotmail.com>
To: <llclist at listproc.umbc.edu>; <multied-l at usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 5:31 PM
Subject: FW: Request for Latin American indigenous groups US

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Justin Estoque" <EstoqueJ at nmai.si.edu>
To: <ryan_monroe at hotmail.com>
CC: "Terry SNOWBALL" <SnowballT at nmaicrc.si.edu>,"Jacquetta Swift"
<SwiftJ at nmaicrc.si.edu>
Subject: Request for organizations and festivals for Latin
Americanindigenous groups US
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:02:16 -0500

Ryan,

I'm glad to get ahold of you briefly this morning. As I mentioned, in
conjunction with the opening of the National Museum of the American Indian
on the National Mall, we are inviting Native communities and non-Native
supporters from throughout the Western Hemisphere to join in a Native
Nations Procession on the National Mall starting at the Smithsonian Castle.
The Procession will form a highly symbolic journey eastward to the site of
the Opening Ceremony, adjacent to the museum at the foot of the U.S. Capitol
building. Thousands of people, many in Native dress and regalia, will walk
in unison to the stage of the Grand Opening ceremony. The procession, to
take place Tuesday, September 21, 2004, 8 a.m.-noon. will provide an
enduring symbol for the dawning of a new era-the opening of the National
Museum of the American Indian.

At the present moment, we have contacts for many North American groups, but
would like to increase our contacts for indigenous Latin American groups in
the US.

Because your line of work brings you in contact with many of these groups
and their community centers or festivals, are there any specific
organizations that you might recommend for us to contact? Or are there any
specific festivals coming up in the next 6 months? We are trying to be as
inclusive as possible; that is, we would like to distribute information or
pay personal visits to such organizations in the DC, Philadelphia,
Baltimore, or NYC areas even if they are not 100% indigenous.

We already have a Spanish language registration site (see
http://www.nmai.si.edu/ ), but we are also interested in getting the word
out to Portuguese- and French-speaking groups.

The project managers for the procession are Jackie Swift and Terry Snowball
of our museum. Any leads you can provide us would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your help, Ryan.

Justin