Technology builds tribal relationship (fwd)

Thu Mar 11 15:13:01 UTC 2004

Technology builds tribal relationship

by: Christine Graef / Correspondent / Indian Country Today

WAUKESHA, Wis. - Scattered across the continent, living in neighborhoods
in rural and urban areas, the Mohican people now connect through a
group called Mohican-7, a Wisconsin-based interactive Web site that
allows dialogue and language to flow among the tribes.

"Most of the Mohican people do not live on the reservation, but are
scattered across the country," said Wenona Gardner of the
Stockbridge-Munsee band of Mohicans, founder of the group. "There are
many Mohican people living in areas especially outside of Wisconsin who
want to be connected to their tribe to learn its language, culture,
arts, but never had a means to connect with other Mohicans on a regular
basis."

Gardner, a writer and artist, said that technology can allow the average
tribal member to build more positive relationships with their own
tribal members that previously were inaccessible due to location. A
group such as this allows people to pool their knowledge together on
how to help each other accomplish personal and group goals of shared
Mohican interests. In just a few months they already have a group of
over 700 messages and growing membership of almost 90 members. Members
talk about such things as language and genealogy.

"I believe the Mohican people=C2=92s greatest resource is its own people,"
she said. "Our nation needed to be talking to each other more on a
person-to-person basis."

Mohican-7 was established on the Internet in September 2003 to bring all
Mohicans together regardless of where they live. One member was serving
in the military during the Iraq war while still receiving messages via
Mohican-7, from home.

The Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians descended from Mohicans
and Munsee Delawares who migrated from New York, Pennsylvania and New
England to Wisconsin in the 1820s and 1830s. Mohican, originally
pronounced Muh-he-con-ne-ok means "People of The Waters That Are Never
Still." They occupied the Upper Hudson River Valley in New York state
until the years between 1783 and 1786 when European settlement removed
them from their homeland.

"I hate the words =C2=91The Last of the Mohicans=C2=92 and the myth it has
perpetuated that the Mohican tribe is dead and has been for a long
time," said Gardner. "It is not very life affirming to grow up in a
world that repeatedly tells you are suppose to be dead. I thought that
a new idea needed to be introduced that projects life of the Mohican
people not just today but in the future. What a thought, the Mohican
tribe growing and thriving seven generations from now, like in the year
2300."

Gardner=C2=92s interest in language began when she was in her teens and
wanted to write a poem using her tribe=C2=92s language.

"Language is alive. It=C2=92s organic. It is born from the spirit and minds
of the people. It is spoken from their breath," said Gardner. "In my
eyes the words are like golden threads weaving us all together. Having
the opportunity to use the words of my ancestors are like golden
heirlooms."

Her interest led her to work on Schmick=C2=92s Mahican Dictionary, edited by
Carl Masthay in 1991. Looking for ways to use language in her
day-to-day life, she formed the group and brought Masthay on board.
Gardner is also turning Schmick=C2=92s dictionary into electronic database
to use in teaching Mohican-7 members from the American Philosophical
Society.

"I created a language experiment called Keeper of the Word," she said.
"Each member picks a single word to learn and dedicate to teaching
others for their entire life. People can use their word in creative
ways such as part of the signature of their email, on their profile or
part of a poem."

This activity engages people in taking an interest in the language one
word at a time and encourages sharing it with others at the same time.
Language is meant to be used for community involvement, Gardner said.

Communication is daily and ongoing. This group is interactive in a way
that lets people upload pictures of their families, files including
music, the language database, polls, and the message archives.
Questions, geneology requests, debates and birthday cards are shared by
members ranging from children to elders. There is a designated chat
time each week. Subjects include the Mo he con nuk Confederacy,
Woodland Indians, Algonquin, Stockbridge-Munsee band of Mohicans,
Hudson River Valley Housatonic, Wisconsin New York tribes, Mohican
language, Mohican government, Mohican Constitution and Mohican arts.

"Using online groups to provide tribal members the opportunity to get to
know each other, share events, knowledge, wisdom, articles, and
personal insights is not just good for the individual tribal members
but the tribe as a whole," said Gardner. "I believe creating this group
helps the Mohican nation, and using the Internet in this way can help
other Native nations work better towards achieving common goals through
increasing communication."

What is nice about the Internet is that you can use it for free to
create and can include tribal members who may not make it to the
reservation often enough to talk about matters on a regular basis,
Gardner said.

Gardner visited different Native language classes to observe how other
Native nations were teaching their Native languages. She said that
having the opportunity to interact with others is important in learning
a second language.

"Factor in that of the 1,500 enrolled tribal members, 1,100 members live
off reservation, something unique needs to be done to connect these
people to each other," Gardner said. "The web I find is a good way to
connect on this language topic. There are a lot of articles on what
Native people are doing to resurrect their languages. I study them and
send the most intriguing ones to the group."

One of the consistent compliments she said she receives about this group
is that it=C2=92s much needed.

"I agree," she said. "We need to see our tribe as more than just a
reservation and include all of its members who live off reservation."