The World Today - Moves to save dying languages (fwd)

Mon Mar 15 15:49:30 UTC 2004

The World Today - Moves to save dying languages

[This is the print version of story
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1066380.htm] This is a
transcript from The World Today. The program is broadcast around
Australia at 12:10pm on ABC Local Radio.

The World Today - Monday, 15 March , 2004  12:44:24

Reporter: Nance Haxton

HAMISH ROBERTSON: According to UNESCO, more than half of the world's
6,000 languages are in danger of dying out, ranging from native
American languages in the United States to Scottish Gaelic, which is
now spoken by only 60,000 or so mostly elderly people.

Well, with growing concern about the rapid disappearance of so many
languages around the world, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
Commission is beginning a study of Aboriginal languages in Australia.

When white settlers first arrived here, it's estimated that more than
250 distinct Aboriginal languages were spoken. Today, that number has
dropped to 15.

Nance Haxton reports from Adelaide.

NANCE HAXTON: It's been dubbed the growth of Mclanguage, the increasing
global prevalence of the four super languages, English, Spanish,
Chinese and Arabic at the sacrifice of all others.

In the past 100 years more than half of the world's languages have
effectively disappeared.

ATSIC Commissioner Rodney Dillon says they hope any more Aboriginal
languages going the same way by identifying which languages are
endangered, that is spoken by less than 20 people.

RODNEY DILLON: Languages are in danger right across Australia, but it's
not only about getting the language back, it's also about talking the
language and having the kids talking the language, because if you get
down to ten there's something wrong in that community. So we've got to
see what's breaking that down. We've got to go, you know, not only do
we have to measure but we have to figure out why it's been broke down
further.

NANCE HAXTON: It's almost like the health of that language is an
indication of the health of that community?

RODNEY DILLON: Yeah, that's what we're trying to measure.

NANCE HAXTON: The Pitjantjara choir from the isolated desert country in
northern South Australia still sings in traditional language, but
Pitjantjara is one of the few dialects in Australia still spoken by its
entire community.

In Australia, one indigenous language is lost each year. If the trend is
left unchecked, it is estimated by 2050 no indigenous languages will
exist in any meaningful sense in Australia.

Mr Dillon says when a language ceases to be spoken much more is lost
than words.

RODNEY DILLON: These languages is the oldest languages in the world.
These are 50,000 and 60,000-year-old languages, you know. This is one
of the most important projects that probably we'll be doing and it's
important for Australia as well, you know, to be proud that they've
held onto that or it's important that they don't lose it.

NANCE HAXTON: Indigenous band Waak Waak Jungi is on its own crusade to
keep traditional languages spoken in a modern context.

Most of the band's songs are sung in the native tongue of the two song
men from Arnhem Land, but they have also reconstructed songs from the
extinct language of the Victorian Yarra Aboriginal people.

Band member Jimmy Djamunba says speaking their language is vital to
keeping their culture alive.

JIMMY DJAMUNBA: Yes. Our making of life, give life, the language will be
really alive, alright, because they have to translate singing, you
know, singing and telling the story. Sometimes I talk with language,
you know, this language, because back in Arnhem Land, I speak only in
language, alright, I can teach young people with my language.

NANCE HAXTON: ATSIC Commissioner Rodney Dillon says they hope once the
study details how many distinct languages are still spoken, they can
develop strategies for their preservation, such as better teaching
programs in schools.

RODNEY DILLON: The importance of our language is our way of life. It is
who we are. It is how we identify who we are and I think when you lose
your language you lose a lot. A lot of Aboriginal people have lost
their language and are very unlucky not to have it and it's sad that we
haven't got it because for one reason or another it's no longer there.

But what we're trying to do is to make sure that the people that have
got their language, that their language stays strong and we not only
preserve the language but we keep the language going, more people talk
the language and the kids talking the language. We've had a break down
in that.

HAMISH ROBERTSON: That was ATSIC Commissioner Rodney Dillon, ending that
report by Nance Haxton in Adelaide.

© 2004 Australian Broadcasting Corporation