language and science

Mia - Main Red Pony miakalish at REDPONY.US
Tue Mar 16 15:28:30 UTC 2004

Dear Carol:

I read your inspiration, or more accurately, skimmed, because I am already
late for the "before meeting shower". . . but I was so touched by the small
line: If you don't like it. . .

I don't know quite where to publish this, which I assume is what you mean.
Having just read it, my mind has not had time to percolate some of the
ideas. (My dad was Irish; my mom Eastern European, btw). However, if you
give me a little more time, and if you tell me whether you might be
interested in exploring some of the ideas further. For example, there are 2
interesting books: Mysteries of the Hopewell, and Native American Science,
both of which talk about the more abstract skills of the people who live
here before. The mathematics, the symmetry, of the Hopewell mounds, is
stunning, IMHO. The relation of mathematical abstraction to cultural needs
is also very interesting. People seem to forget that the Western
interpretation of mathematics and science is simply a set of languages that
represent abstractions that derive from the needs and curiosites (and power
struggles) of the Europeans. No more. No less.

So let me know what you think. Based on the responses I have gotten from
people, assembling a Major Concept of Native Science, and its Representation
in Language may be worthy of a grant submission to the NSF. Tell me what you
think.

Regards,
Mia