a thought on microsoft...

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Fri Nov 12 18:17:08 UTC 2004

Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> writes:
>Apple is also working with native speakers, in Arizona and in Hawaii that
>I know of, to create interfaces in specific languages.

Apple has worked with us to make sure their fonts have the proper
characters for Hawaiian, have included a Hawaiian keyboard, sorting
routines and date formatting to OS X. There is also a Hawaiian locale that
will allow us to create localized resources, and if it is selected, will
display a Hawaiian user interface for those applications that have a
Hawaiian resource. We haven't shipped any yet but are working on it.

I've emailed a number of people within Microsoft over the years regarding
strenthening Hawaiian support, with nothing to show for it. Those that
have been supportive have had no actual authority to help. Among some of
the more snide replies I've received from MS have included "Why would you
want it in Hawaiian, don't you all speak English anyway?"  :-/

Keola

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu