microsoft

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Fri Nov 12 19:16:28 UTC 2004

Aloha. We translated Netscape Communicator (v4.5) into Hawaiian back in
1998 under their Universal Localization Program
(http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/resources/kahookele/). We'd considered
continuing and translating Mozilla into Hawaiian, but I wasn't very happy
with the tools provided for the localization and they took a long time
fixing some bugs that dealt with rendering some characters properly, so I
did not pursue it further. Someone at Microsoft told us that we could
translate IE into Hawaiian for Mac OS if we like, but as we had already
spent months translating communicator I didn't see the value of having two
Hawaiian browsers for the same platform, so I didn't pursue it.

I'm more concerned at this point with us getting system-level support and
a keyboard in Windows, and can deal with localization in the future.

Keola

Penei ka ‘ölelo a Indigenous Languages and Technology
<ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>:
>I remember several discussion over the past 3-5 years, once on the
>KMA-L listserver of the U Hawaii and several times on the Chinook-L
>listserver about Microsoft and its "open source" browser. if I
>remember right there were some Native computer techies working on
>putting Hawaiian onto the Microsoft browser. I am not that good at
>computer technical stuff so I can't really describe it correctly. All
>of the Chinook-L messages are archived on the LinguistList archives
>database that are fully searchable.
>
>I am not sure how far programming into the Iexplorer browser went. I
>would think that the best luck might be had with the Linux system.
>They are completely open source and there is an army of computer guys
>creating programming for that system. maybe this is a direction that
>has some future for Native languages. Anyone here work with Linux???
>
>I will try to fine the text of the discussion about Microsoft open
>source programming for the list.

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu