a thought on microsoft...

Paul_Lewis at SIL.ORG Paul_Lewis at SIL.ORG
Sat Nov 13 00:42:01 UTC 2004

Readers of this list and participants in this discussion thread might be
interested in the progress so far of UNESCO's Initiative B at BEL.

http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=16601&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Paul Lewis
Editor, Ethnologue
SIL International
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas, TX 75236

             phil cash cash
             <pasxapu at DAKOTACO
             M.NET>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
             Indigenous                                                 cc
             Languages and
             Technology                                            Subject
             <ILAT at LISTSERV.AR         Re: a thought on microsoft...
             IZONA.EDU>

             11/12/2004 05:12
             PM

             Please respond to
                Indigenous
               Languages and
                Technology
             <ILAT at LISTSERV.AR
                IZONA.EDU>

I wonder if endangered language communities with small populations
warrant the kinds of software localization like Quechua and Swahili.
It would seem, in any given situation, one would need a strong
developing literacy and stable orthography to support this kind of
development, not to mention some long term heritage language benefits.

Just curious, and thanks for all your messages as I am learning a lot
from your discussions,

phil cash cash
UofA