microsoft

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Nov 16 18:14:46 UTC 2004

Aloha Mia. We did hire the developer of Keyman several years ago to create
2 Hawaiian keyboard layouts (both using our custom 8-bit fonts and
Unicode), and were able to purchase a world-wide license from him so that
we could distribute it freely (for use with the Hawaiian keyboards only)
from our website. Has worked OK, but it's still an extra step for our
users that I'd love to be able to avoid some day.

Keola

Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> writes:
>I encountered this problem, but at least where I was looking at the time,
>most of the programs did not support the scripting necessary to build the
>internal keyboard. I am sure you have looked at Keyman, yes? $50 or so
>for a
>keyboard; I don't know what the customization charges are.
>
>How I do the exchange, since I do mostly graphics programs for learning
>materials, is I create the text in Word, and then copy via clipboard into
>the graphics programs.
>
>The place where the change needs to be made, by the way, is in the lowest
>levels of the operating system, where the language and country codes are
>set.
>
>To weigh in on localization, I think each place with an endangered
>language
>needs to have localization support! To say, Is it worth it? is to side
>with
>the monoliguists (English works for me! It should work for everyone. NOT)

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/