microsoft

MiaKalish@LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Nov 17 21:06:16 UTC 2004

I don't know how we would do this since the KWERTY keyboard has the fixed
keys, and everyone knows how to type on it.

Voice recognition is not really sophisticated although there has been a lot
of time and technology logged into it.

I thought about this a lot when I built the template for Athapascan, and I
couldn't think of a better solution than the soft toolbar.

This problem really has several dimensions. First is the font itself, and
making it portable and interchangeable. The Second is the localization
issue, with the related application to generalized software packages. The
third is the hardware. How long has the QWERY keyboard been around? . . .
since 1868, (Cristopher Latham Sholes in 1868;
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=QWERTY+keyboard+invention)

Is anyone submitting to the AIQ? I really think a bunch of us ought to write
about this. We have a lot of people talking about revitalization, but so
far, there is a lot a rhetoric. I think this is both because the
technological support is not there, and also because we aren't having a
public discussion about the processes, steps, and issues. I see a lot of
wonderful links provided by the tireless Phil, but I wonder how many of
these happen because someone at the university gets a grant. How many actual
TRIBES have the technology and expertise to design, develop and support
their own programs (which I think is Very Important).

People?

Mia