microsoft

Sean M. Burke sburke at CPAN.ORG
Fri Nov 19 03:16:02 UTC 2004

At 02:09 PM 2004-11-18, MiaKalish at LFP wrote:
>Hmmm, here in Apache land we don't call them apostrophs. Also, people are
>very sensitive about the tonality.

That doesn't mean that it should necessarily manifest as sort order.  (In
fact, looking over the past few centuries of lexicons, accents and
apostrophes being disregarded tends to be the way that nearly everyone
settles on.)

Your notion of anglicization is merely one of many possible.  The Apaches
I've dealt with do not view letter-based instead of grapheme-based sorting
as anglicization, nor calling a ' an "apostrophe" to be anglicization, nor
even the use of a Latin alphabet written with ink on paper to be
anglicization.  Calling something anglicization is an inevitably arbitrary
application (ironically!) of a western simplification onto the intractably
complex details of reality and experience.  Or something.

Personally, I find the overgeneralizations of conceptual categories onto
Native linguistics because people are sophomorically essentialist and
overbearing, to be quite offensive.  I don't mean /you/, of course, Miah.

I know how much pressure you can be under trying to please everyone, and I
have so! much! real! life! experience! trying to deal with all the actualities.

As Whitehead said, "seek simplicity, and distrust it" -- including any
fixed notion of what simplicity is.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/