New technology improves syllabics on the web (fwd)

MiaKalish@LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri Oct 8 18:27:44 UTC 2004

Hi, Keola,

I don't know too much about Hawai'ian, except that its so beautiful.

Can you give us a quick overview of how many letters are different and how
different the glyphs are? For Apache, we have the en-yay (n with a tilde
over it) and the voiceless l, both of which are available in UTF-8 and
Unicode. But we also have upper-lower case vowels with both the acute accent
and the cedilla, indicating nasalized, rising tone. The Unicode people have
said that we can use the new script to build these characters on the fly,
but the new script requires newer operating system capabilities, and has the
usual platform problems.

There's some Apache on the menus at
http://learningforpeople.us/MALibrary/index.htm. There aren't any of these
double characters, but you can see both the acute and the cedilla on the
vowels.

best,
Mia