Yukon chiefs call for control of language cash (fwd)

MiaKalish@LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Oct 11 17:24:00 UTC 2004

Ya know, I know some people who were offered the tools to take control of
their language,and they turned it down.

Is he only talking about $$$$$$$? Or is he perhaps talking about developing
a rigorous technical support base that can make it happen? (I have noticed
that people will frequently have a "gut reaction" to technology, but they
don't calculate the ratio of teachers to learners, that is increasing year
by year as Elders pass.)

This just happens to fit so will with our other thread about fonts.

Mia

----- Original Message -----
From: "phil cash cash" <cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
To: <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 11:19 AM
Subject: Yukon chiefs call for control of language cash (fwd)

NORTH.CBC.CA

Yukon chiefs call for control of language cash

Last Updated: Oct 8 2004 07:25 PM CDT
http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=oct08yukchief10082004,

WHITEHORSE - Yukon Council of First Nations Grand Chief Ed Schultz wants
to know why Yukon First Nations aren't in charge of the territory's
aboriginal language programs.

[photo inset - 'We have the least say on that. And we're not going to
take it any more' Â~V Ed Schultz]

Schultz had some strong words about the situation Friday following a
meeting of Yukon chiefs.

Schultz says with many native languages disappearing, and some gone
already, he's going to take action.

Schultz says the territory's First Nations have a mandate to protect
languages, but lack the tools to do it.

He wants to make sure the people who speak those languages have the
power to preserve them.

"What makes us distinct is our language Â~V that's what makes us
distinct," he says. "That's the essence of our identity. But the
control measures for its ongoing utilization, development, promotion
and integration into the contemporary world is controlled by everyone
else but us."

"We have the least say on that. And we're not going to take it any
more."

Currently, most money for Yukon language programs flows through
non-native government agencies like Canadian Heritage, and the
territorial Department of Education.

Schulz says as soon as possible, that cash and the power that comes with
it must be transferred to the Council of Yukon First Nations

Copyright ? 2004 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved