Wireless microphones for language recording

Sandra Andrews sandra at ASU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 21:19:57 UTC 2004

We also used the Olympus digital recorders. They worked well with speech, but not so well with music, in spite of having a music setting. Also they did not work well when placed in a shirt pocket!

Sandy Andrews

Sandra Sutton Andrews
Digital Media and Instructional Technologies
Arizona State University

-----Original Message-----
From:   Indigenous Languages and Technology on behalf of MiaKalish at LFP
Sent:   Mon 10/18/2004 1:54 PM
To:     ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject:        Re: Wireless microphones for language recording
Hi, All,

We have been using tiny Olympus digital microphones for nearly 4 years with
great success. They run on 2 small AAA batteries, have 3 quality settings,
and a mode for meetings. They have a USB connector, a nice program for
transferring the information, and an option to record directly into the
computer or laptop. They are small, unintrusive, and have good pick-up
(sometimes too good: we get the entire family activities, and these are hard
to edit out, so be forewarned).

They cost about $99 when we bought them.

I don't have mine with me, but I could bring it tomorrow if people are
interested in more details. Oh, and it's only about 3.5 inches long, almost
less than an inch thick, and not quite 2 inches wide.

Great device. One of the best pieces of hardware I ever owned (except maybe
for the remote control light switch that I bought at Radio Shack this
week-end so I don't trip over a pile of greyhounds on my way to the light in
the dark :-).

Mia