Wireless microphones for language recording

Sandra Andrews sandra at ASU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 22:00:24 UTC 2004

No, we weren't hiding anything, just experimenting. It was thought (by one of the elders) that at times it might be less intrusive not to have the technology on the table. Didn't work though. Picked up the sound of the fabric instead. ;-) This was several years ago.

Which, to continue, is sort of interesting because a major crime case in Phoenix was solved, also years ago, when someone's Olympus, in a backpack, picked up the information necessary to close the case. In our experience that would not have been very likely to have happened. We would have heard the tiny backpack sounds instead.

It is a great tool for interviews etc. though (if placed on the table!!!)

Sandy

Sandra Sutton Andrews
Digital Media and Instructional Technologies
Arizona State Universities

-----Original Message-----
From:   Indigenous Languages and Technology on behalf of MiaKalish at LFP
Sent:   Mon 10/18/2004 2:54 PM
To:     ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject:        Re: Wireless microphones for language recording
We always used ours like one would use a much larger microphone,  making
sure there was no noise, although as I mentioned, I goofed a few times. I
never would have thought of putting it in a shirt pocket. Did you do this to
hide it, so people wouldn't think they were being recorded?

Also, we purchased ours specifically for voice recording, and these were
tuned for voice. We never tried to record music, although one time I
recorded a small slice from a DVD that I wanted to use in a presentation. It
was tricky, but I got it to work.

Mia