English-Only laws in AZ

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Mon Sep 20 22:55:56 UTC 2004

Just wanted to mention that I've been in touch with ACLU Arizona about
the issue of Prop. 203, the English-only law, affecting Native immersion
programs.  It does indeed seem that Window Rock Public Schools may risk
losing funding by continuing their immersion programs, and the issue may
have to go to court.

We all need to be vigilant in letting people know that these
English-only laws do not just apply to immigrants--they also endanger
efforts to preserve Native American languages as well.  I suspect that
if Azizona voters had understood the effect of this law, they wouldn't
have voted for it in the first place.

Matthew Ward