School to revive Indigenous language (fwd)

Sat Sep 25 18:04:45 UTC 2004

School to revive Indigenous language

Friday, 24 September 2004
http://www.abc.net.au/southeastnsw/news/200409/s1206404.htm

A Eurobodalla primary school at Broulee, in south-east NSW, is
pioneering the introduction of Aboriginal languages as part of the
state school curriculum next year.

The school is leading the way with the Dhurga tongue, native to the
south coast, set to become the school's second language.

Indigenous studies teacher Kerry Boyenga says the language studies will
have a number of spin-offs.

"We teach German as another language, as our learn language, and we just
feel we have a living language in our community and we have a fairly
high population of Aboriginal people and we just feel we would like to
revive it.

"It certainly hasn't died, but we would like to revive what we do have
and build on to it so we can teach other people about our language and
probably a little bit about our culture."